Airports provide down time - 73 degrees longitude

This morning started out with one of the longest Lincoln showers I've taken in years. It was one of those showers that you take when you really don't know when the next one might come your way. Clean head to toe and all packed up, the crew left Lincoln in route to pick up Kathy and head to Montreal for our first leg. I found there to many last minute throw ins and loose ends to tie but the one that's been on many lists for weeks now was to learn how to knit. Wouldn't you know that the car ride from Williston Central School to Trudeau, Montreal provides almost enough mother/daughter teacher/student time to learn the craft. I say almost because it was looking pretty good until I continued after our tearful goodbyes. I'll keep trying mom- hold me to it.

It's hard to believe that we've been out of work for two and half weeks- probably because this is one of the first times I stopped moving. It's been a mix of emotions as we pack up our life and try to fit it into an internal frame pack. My excited thoughts of what are to come in this journey are so overpowering my fear and sadness of leaving a place I love so much. I was thinking back to previous long term trips I've taken and realized that this one is different in one important way, we're doing it together. There's something comforting about that.

1 comments:

    On August 25, 2009 at 6:50 AM Chad Sumner said...

    . . . don't you remember learning to knit during our RV trip out west? Just watched that home movie with Will & Henry the last time we were in Lincoln (and added the much-deserved star to the film box). I remember some heinous green and yellow scarves coming out of that early attempt. Or the Treasure Hunt squares . . .

    Don't look back, or too far ahead; take a "deep breath, rose smelling moment" every chance you get; and know that we'll all be here (plus at least one) when you get back, existing pretty much the same way you left us. Whatever little things you might miss will pale to the adventures that await.

    Much love,
    Bro(-in-law)